Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Sex is In the Heel: Kinky Boots brings out the best in ALL high heeled lovers!

     Marilyn Monroe once said, “Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world”……. but give a man the right boots, and he can conquer the UNIVERSE!

      Broadway spectacle Kinky Boots, written by Harvey Fierstein with music & lyrics by the amazingly talented Cyndi Lauper, is the story of a British man named Charlie who, after a series of unfortunate events, is forced to take over his family's struggling shoe factory.  Charlie struggles to keep the family business alive when he meets Lola (a.k.a Simon), an extravagant drag queen of London, and her larger-than-life band of cross-dressers. Without even trying, Lola inspires Charlie to make specialty boots for transvestite men, which they call Kinky Boots. However, even when Lola agrees to becoming the company's head designer, both Charlie and Lola continue to struggle with living up to certain expectations. 

     I was ESPECIALLY fascinated with the costumes in this show. I'm telling you-- these costumes were unlike anything that I had ever seen before. Imagine the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.... but with men. THAT is the sensation that is Kinky Boots..... and I loved every fabulous second of it! I only wish that I could ask designer, Gregg Barnes what kind of research he had to go through in order to construct the drag attire. 

     Regardless of how Barnes managed to pull it off, I was absolutely blown away by these men bouncing around on stage in their high heeled stiletto boots and skimpy outfits! Not only that, but they had the attitude, sass, and walk to match! I think I liked their personalities just as much, if not MORE, than I loved their outrageous costumes (and we all know how much I loooooove outrageous!) There was one point in the show where one of the "angels" struts out wearing nothing but a string bikini and, for a second, I actually thought he was a woman! Maybe it was the mezzanine seating tampering with my vision, but I couldn't help but admire Barnes work in that moment. I was also inspired by each of the character's passion for shoes. I know the actors we're only well... acting, but being exposed to so much passion and love for fashion really hit it home for me.  

     As flashy as this show gets, Kinky Boots is a touching story about self- acceptance and staying true to who you are.  I highly recommend seeing it. 

     The show has been running on Broadway for over a year now, and those boots are still kickin'! So don't miss out on your chance to see it all for yourself! Even if you can't make it to Broadway, the 2005 film version of Kinky Boots was just released on Netflix. Check it out!

XoXo,

Fashion Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment