Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Career Aspirations-- What exactly am I doing?

"Tell us your career aspirations in 100 words or less."

Does anyone else reach a standstill when faced with this question, or is it just me? In high school, teachers and guidance counselors alike never pressured you to have a specific career goal in mind when selecting a college. They even encouraged students to go in as "undeclared" and figure it out from there. It's no wonder why high school graduates studder when asked what they hope to do with the rest of their lives. WE DON'T KNOW.

"Tell us your career aspirations in 100 words or less."
"Umm.... I'd like to be involved in the fashion industry somehow."
"What specific career path are you most interested in?"

.....Career path?! WHAT are you talking about?! My senior year I decided to pursue a career in fashion after having a heart to heart with my mom. We talked about life. Her life. My future. She told me that she loves the life she lives now, but if she could go back and do it all over again, she'd study fashion. I thought, boy would she be good at it! I've always admired my mom for her incredible sense of style. She has always been, and always will be the perfect partner in crime when I hit up my favorite stores at the mall. Before that talk, I had never considered a fashion career. Yet when she brought it up, it seemed like the obvious path to take! I am obsessed with clothing and shoes (but honestly, what girl ISN'T?) Still. It seemed appropriate.

But do I really know anything about the fashion industry? I can tell you what looks good and what doesn't but that's about it! I don't know big designer names! I don't have a fashion role model or a favorite trendsetter! I don't read blogs or fashion magazines to find inspiration! And I certainly can't tell you what specific career paths exist in the fashion industry. It's astounding to me how little I know. Needless to say, I need to do some extensive research if I want to be taken seriously by all the other fashion majors and professors in college. I will NOT be the weakest link.

So that's what I did. I bought books. I read vogue. Blogs. Google. I'm learning, but I've got a long way to go. When I go to school in the fall, I am sure I will be surrounded by girls who know 100,000 more things about fashion than I. But at least now I have a better idea of the path I want to take.

Career paths in fashion:
    1. Design
    2. Buying
    3. Marketing
    4. Styling
    5. Public Relations
    6. Editorial
    7. Other


Right now, Public Relations sounds the best to me. I love the idea of being an event planner for a big named company. Ie. Victoria's Secret (my favorite <3) I want to be the girl that makes the Victoria's Secret fashion show happen. SO much fun, I can't even handle it!

While attending Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY, I will explore all the career paths of the fashion industry.

"Tell us your career aspirations in 100 words or less."

I will attend school to learn the ins and outs of the fashion industry. I will explore each and every career path in the field, and I will know everything there is to know about fashion. I will make connections with people currently in the industry. I will be a powerhouse. I will be unstoppable. 





Xoxo,
Fashion Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment